<VV> Cranking Test, Then, Maybe, a Leak Down Test

Mikeamauro@aol.com Mikeamauro@aol.com
Wed, 7 Apr 2004 20:38:24 EDT

   <Snip>With the compression test if you have a low cylinder, put 3-4
squirts of
oil in the cyl. if the comprssion comes up it is piston/rings, and if it does

not then it is probably valves. Time proven and simple.
    Ken Hand>

Ken...I tried the "squirts of oil" trick in my wife's 110 Greenbrier engine
(#1 was down by about 40psi from other cylinders using cranking compression
method)....after oiling, the compression only went up about 5psi.  Then did a
leak down test.... Heard air from both the intake and exhaust, but more so from
the crankcase.  Upon tear down, found broken compression ring on #1
piston...cylinder wall looked OK.  Without the leak down test, I would have been fooled
into just doing the heads.  I'm a believer: do a cranking compression test
first; then, if imbalances are seen, find out more with a leak down test.  Of
course, this is just my opinion; like other things peculiar to one's self,
everyone has one.
Mike Mauro