<VV> Dash pad on 63 spyder...Glue?

Dan & Synde dsjkling@sbcglobal.net
Wed, 7 Apr 2004 21:33:04 -0700

Okay, I'll admit it.....

I went thru 2 dash pads before I was successful installing the 3rd.  What a
waste but I learned what not to do.  As I already posted, the glue must be
dry.  20 minutes wasn't enough the first time, you must be sure no glue
exist in a liquid state, no skinned over pools of glue anywhere.  Since the
glue will be dry, there is no "sliding" it into place, once it touches, that
is it.  The first two were failures due to the glue lifting the vinyl from
the padding and causing ugly bubbles.  I consider myself fairly mechanically
incline but after the second failure I was frustrated and in doubt.  The
instructions did say to generously apply the glue.  That I believe is a
mistake.  Generously to me means to put alot of it on so I did with the
first pad and waited until tacky......WRONG!!  I went a little lighter the
second time and let it dry longer.....Not long enough!   Less bubbling and
lifting but still ugly.  Third and last time got out the assembly manual to
see just exactly where the factory put it.  This time I applied the glue
with a medium coat in the places GM put it and let it dry for several hours.
Finally, a finished product that was acceptable.

Also, in response to someone earlier who mentioned installing it without the
glue....the repro pad, at least the ones I received needed the glue to fit
flush with the dash in between all the places around the edge that hold it
down.  The ashtray and speaker bezel helps but without glue, the dash seemed
a little to puffy looking.  It still IMO looks a little too full but much
better than without the glue.

Anyone else experience the lifting and bubbling due to the glue?

Daniel Kling
1961 Greenbrier Deluxe, 4spd, 3.89
1963 Spyder restored, no engine yet