<VV> Equal length Brake shoes

Dave Keillor dkeillor@ultrex.com
Thu, 8 Apr 2004 12:12:44 -0500

The self-energizing effect comes from the location of the pivot point at the
bottom.  Braking in a forward direction causes the leading shoe to try to
wrap itself around the pivot point which, in turn, causes the shoe to press
harder against the drum -- thereby causing the "self-energizing" effect.
When braking in a reverse direction, the opposite is true and the trailing
edge shoe becomes the self-energizing shoe.  So, all that happens in the
case of equal length linings is that you get more self-energizing effect in
reverse.

Dave Keillor

-----Original Message-----
From: UltraMonzaWest@aol.com [mailto:UltraMonzaWest@aol.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 08, 2004 10:50 AM
To: virtualvairs@corvair.org
Subject: Re: <VV> Equal length Brake shoes

I never tried running shoes like this, and I wouldn't. Drum brakes are
self-energizing, but I believe that with the same length linings on both
shoes, they would NOT be. Pedal effort would be greatly increased. Lining
length is critical, my experience with other cars indicates, and that is
both absolute AND relative length.

Joe Potts