<VV> "Group Red" Loses another potential member (long)

Sadek Charles H DLVA SadekCH@NSWC.NAVY.MIL
Fri, 9 Apr 2004 11:14:24 -0400

Great narrative!  However, for the rest of us, it is my understanding that
we can join Group Red even for a very short time, in my case, between races
when the car is being worked on.  Now, I realize the intent is to showcase
our "jewels" covered in garage detritus and I have one of those, too.  So,
don't feel bad, that you aren't in Group Red; you were, you just didn't want
to admit to it!!!!!

Chuck S
YS73

-----Original Message-----
From: NicolCS@aol.com [mailto:NicolCS@aol.com]
Sent: Friday, April 09, 2004 2:26 AM
To: virtualvairs@corvair.org
Subject: <VV> "Group Red" Loses another potential member (long)

This saga begins three years ago when my Red/Red '66 140/4 EFI Monza
developed an engine noise on the way to the Northwest Econorun at Whidbey
Island, WA.
A potential candidate for "Group Red"?   NAW!  I'll have this fixed in a
jiffy, no need to bother with "Group Red" membership.  Then we adopted a
newborn,
then we opened a car dealership.  Then we had a...  and so on.  But, oh!
"This car won't be down long enough to warrant the extensive effort required
join "Group Red," I kept saying to myself.  Then along came the
"irresistable"
'67 Monza 140/4 sedan (needing resto)... and the '65 Evening Orchid Corsa
Convertible (needing resto)... and the '65 Binion EFI convertible....  Did I

mention restoring the '65 GB for my friend Steve?

Father time kept peeling back the pages and finally, this winter, I pulled
the engine.  A couple of piston issues were the noisy culprits.  A new set
of
KBs from Lon; bolt the engine back together, and we'll be ready to go, I
thought.  (That was January).  Come to think of it... I really like the
3.08/Early
4sp combo that's in my '67, why don't I build another one for the '66?
After
some digging, I found an NOS '64-5 FC transmission in Louisianna and another

posi unit in nearby Washington.  A couple of weeks to get my act (and the
differential) together and VOILA, all done!  (well almost)

Push in the clutch for a final adjustment check and ... POW!   I guess it's
time to put in the '69 cable and cross-shaft I have been storing for this
moment.

And in April: "Before I put her back on the road, the brakes really needed
new hydraulics"; she wet her linings while sleeping. (can you tell I have a
young child now?) then, as long as I have all new hoses and cylinders, I
might as
well do the MC and change over to silicone.  Well, as long as we're doing
the
MC, might as well "dual" it too....

Ahh, all ready to go, and SO quickly!  One thing after another and only
THREE
YEARS LATER, I'm driving the car again.  Just in time for the '04 Econorun
Walla Walla!  HOORAY!  I guess I didn't really need to join "Group Red"
after
all.

Craig Nicol
66 Monza 140/4 EFI now 3.08 posi with NOS 65 FC (3.65 first) 4-speed (and
running!)