<VV> Powerglide and General Restoration Question

N. Joseph Potts pottsf@msn.com
Sun, 11 Apr 2004 12:36:04 -0400

As with many American cars of the period, trim for the Corvair came in three
varieties (on each car): stainless steel, aluminum, and cast (pot metal),
which is chromed. Stainless-steel is durable, and can be restored at
reasonable cost (bang out the dents and polish). Aluminum is more-delicate
AND easier to reproduce, so economics encourages replacement in a
restoration (it IS available repro). Pot metal is durable but subject to
pitting, and is expensive both to restore and to reproduce, so NOS of these
are particularly valuable.
     For anyone (like me) trying to put together and maintain a "nice
example," it's all (the foregoing) economics.
     Depending on your location, the actual present condition of your car,
and the standards you want to attain, your estimate of the bodywork seems
about right. For such amounts, you should be able to attain nice results.
Figure on spending more for this than for anything else (including
acquisition of the vehicle).
     My attitude toward Chevy IIs, as a Corvair owner, is that except
perhaps for its size, it is a thoroughly conventional car with little about
it of special interest. I'm not familiar (except by extension from similar
cars) with its performance attibutes. Chevy II replaced the Corvair in
Chevrolet's product line as the economy (low-end, now called "entry-level")
offering. This is more of a reflection on the market (customers and supplier
both) and the regulatory environment than on the car.

Joe Potts
VV Economist