<VV> Solvent Test for Heads

Geoff Johnson geoffj@unm.edu
Mon, 12 Apr 2004 08:06:25 -0700

The problem with hand-lapping valves is they establish a seal at room
temperature.  As the Engine heats up and parts expand at unequal rates the
seal can not work as well.  With a properly cut interferance angle valve
job, the valve is cut at a 1 degree difference of angle from the valve
seat.  This creates a high surface loading, on a narrow  band, that upon
engine operation, shapes itself to a correct angle and shape.  At room
temperature, before startup, there is only a thin area of contact, that
may, before it has operated, allow a little tiny leak.  If you are losing
compression on a professionally done head I would first look elsewhere such
as rings.

-Geoff Johnson

--On Monday, April 12, 2004 9:38 AM -0400 "N. Joseph Potts"