<VV> Re: parking lites on with headlites

Tony tonyu@roava.net
Tue, 13 Apr 2004 11:55:13 -0700

At 1016 04/12/2004 -0400, Debbie Duval wrote:
>'66  -- regular taillights, no side markers
>'67  -- side markers added, but no parking lamp illumination with headlights
>on

...no side markers in '67.  That came in '68.

>'68  -- side markers, parking lamp illumination with headlights on

...depending on when the vehicle came off the assembly line, evidently.   This
was also true of other marques besides GM's... like the previously mentioned
Mopars in '68.

>Hey, 1967 Corvairs did not have side marker lamps!

Nope they didn't.   Got some examples outside right now sans marker lamps.

>Tony,
>
>The 1969 Mopars you remember may have had the extra side marker bulbs inside
the regular rear light assemblies if they would be visable from the side
view.

No  side visible tail lights with the '69 Mopars, neither A nor B bodies and
the C body cars had front parking lights inside the bumper and rear tail
lights
shadowed within the rear cove area, not visible from the sides.   These cars
indeed had indentions for rectangular marker lights but didn't come with
lights
at all, instead there were reflectors mounted in the indentions.   No
provisions for a lamp socket nor hole for wiring for same.   No provisions in
the wiring harness either.   And, no side view of the tail lamps or parking
lamps was possible in 1969 Mopars.

They just didn't include any side marker lights.

>My 1970 Buick Estate Wagon has the side marker (#194) bulbs in the rear
taillamp assemblies, no separate side marker lamp assembly.

Wrap-around parking lights front and rear, ala '70-up Chevelles and, later on,
Novas etc... Ford did it too, bigtime.   The sheet metal of most of the Mopars
was already "in the can" through '73 and the fenders and bumpers just didn't
lend themselves well to wrap-around parking lights.

Frankly, I liked the looks of the clean lines of the '66-73 Mopar A's and B's
and the marker lights didn't bother the lines at all, especially the round
lights in '68.    In my opinion, it was those particular Mopars that
epitomized
Walter P Chryslers efforts as a car maker.    Since then, the cars that have
been called Mopars are simply standing on the shoulders of the giants that
came
before them.

...kinda like how the almighty Camaro was just a 2nd generation Corvair with a
V8 up front, standing on the shoulders of its forebears.   And nobody gives
the
Camaros "father" any credit...

Hell, I don't even much care if my '68 Vair parking lights don't stay on with
the headlights.   The '69 Monzas parking lights do, however.

tony..

"Got Mopar?"      (how about a '62 Dodge Dart I've been working on prying out
from under the current owner?)