<VV> Getting the yoke off of the axle (early model)

JRVIDRINE@aol.com JRVIDRINE@aol.com
Thu, 15 Apr 2004 06:17:39 EDT

Folks,

Thanks for the replies on my problem in separating the rear axle bearing
assembly from the brake backing plate.  I got it off.

Now, I am having trouble with getting the yoke off the axle.  I had hoped
that wouldn't happen.  I bought a Pittman arm puller from Harbor Freight which
just barely catches the shoulders of the yoke.  This didn't budge anything
yesterday eveing.  I am now thinking of using a propane torch to heat it up, allow
it to cool and then attempt using the puller.  Any thoughts on this?  Is there
any danger in weakening the yoke?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Randy Vidrine
62 Monza Coupe w/PG