<VV> make it run

Delta Inc deltainc@grm.net
Thu, 15 Apr 2004 18:05:40 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "bob mccrum" <bmccrum@comcast.net>
To: <virtualvairs@corvair.org>

has
> pertronix ignitor ignition (electronic) and all appears fairly new, rotor
in
> good shape.  coil says needs a ballast resistor-would this be in engine
comp?
> only wire going out of engine compart appears to be yellow wire. i'm
stuck.
> help
> bob
***************
Sounds like the road trip pulled a wire loose somewhere.  Many people hook
up wires and just twist them together, maybe put a tab of electrical tape on
the joint.  Wire joints should be soldered after they are proven correct.
Then taped, or shrink tubed, then stress relieved or "laced out" etc.

I don't quite understand " only wire out of engine compart"  ... do you mean
the only wire coming out of the main harnesss and going around to the coil
..  ??  or what ??

Also, the early Pertronix ( P1)  is fairly suspect at just dying when it
feels like it.
The later Pertronix ( P2 ) is a little more reliable, but still an
electronic product, like a hard drive (g).

Just to get your car running, feel free to hook everything up to a full 12
volts, proven by voltmeter, don't assume anything right now; later you can
find and play with the ballast resistor/ballast wire.  Especially suspect is
the 12/(6) volt supply wire to the + side of the coil, these are fatigued to
heck, and probably the original 41 year old connector ... I like to start
backward from the plug  and keep checking for voltage from point to point
while someone is turning the engine over on command.

Oh Yeah, it's always good to reward your new toy with a new battery cable
set, and make sure you get the ground to the engine lead on good.

Hope this helps
ken campbell, iowuh guy.