<VV> Spare engines

NicolCS@aol.com NicolCS@aol.com
Fri, 16 Apr 2004 15:27:01 EDT

I have one "spare" 140 engine, fully dressed and ready to install.  This
nicely covers my four 140 powered cars.  I use it as a temporary engine while a
broken engine is repaired or the car is at the body shop.  In the bigger
picture, I think the reason many if not most Corvairs are scrapped due to worn-out or
broken engines.  While a Macco paint job is still inexpensive,  the high cost
of overhaul and relative complexity of the engine really add-up fast.  A
rebuilt long-block for a Corvair is at least double, if not triple, the price of
same for a SBC powered car.  That's why it's so easy to find a decent Corvair
that just needs engine work (or has no engine at all) for practically nothing.
Carl, I wish you luck (really) and hope that you do find a "good used"
Corvair engine.  For my time and money, I'd go for one of the ones that Bob Coffin
has offered for sale.  I'm tempted myself.
Craig Nicol
65,5,6,7 140/4s plus one in the barn.