<VV> RE: Re: Survey: Spare Engines

Bill Hubbell Bill Hubbell" <whubbell@umich.edu
Fri, 16 Apr 2004 23:30:39 -0400

Well, this seems like a good opportunity to bring this up.  I have been
trying to think of a good "Group" project for our local club (Tidewater
Corvair Club), and since we will be hosting the Virginia Vair Fair in 2005,
I thought we might try to rebuild a Corvair engine to raffle off.  My
thought was that we would build a nice 110 HP "core" (no shrouds, no carbs
or accessories); basically all new or refurbished moving parts (cam, crank,
pistons, rings, cylinders, etc. etc.)  The club members would get a nice
project and those that needed it could learn how to do the job.  The engine
would be sold by raffle.

The question is, can it be done right and still make a profit, or at least
break even?  The way I see it, to do the job right would cost between
$2,000 - 3,000, depending on how many parts could be reused, how much labor
donated, etc.  I assume raffle tickets would probably sell best at about a
buck apiece, which means selling at least 2 - 3 thousand tickets.

With so many extra engines just sitting around there waiting to be "dropped
in", would there be a demand for a nice rebuild?

What do y'all think?

Bill Hubbell
TCC President 2003-2004
CORSA Eastern Division Director Candidate 2004

"No Corvairs were harmed in the typing of this message"