<VV> 8 Track

Tony tonyu@roava.net
Sat, 17 Apr 2004 21:12:14 -0700

At 2213 04/16/2004 -0500, wfcc@juno.com wrote:
>I picked up a Delco AM/FM 8 Track out of a early 80's Olds today, I plan
>on installing it in my 64 Convertible. It works fine except when I play
>my "jesus christ -superstar " tape it sounds like it is being sung by
>Alvin and the chipmunks and I don't even want to try to keep up with Iron
>Butterfly and the drum solo in  "inna gadda da vida."    Any suggestions
>??

Two things to look at are the capstan inside the tape slot and the flywheel
speed adjustment.   Check the capstan to see if it has a wrapping of "eaten
tape" around it, causes the player to run fast.

The speed adjustment, depending on the model of the radio, is either on top of
the chassis (accessible through a hole) or on the back.   Also, depending on
the model of radio/tape, the flywheel will have strobe markings on it to
adjust
for "still state" when viewed under florescent light.  The top obviously
has to
be removed to do this and it also has to be on the bench under the lights.
Four 1/4" screws and the top pops off easy.    You might also wanna look for
the installation of a wrong belt if someone else has been in it.   If all else
looks OK, try the speed adjustment, should be a blue control (if an "above
board" type mount) or simply a hole in the back for screwdriver access; in any
event it should be marked as a tape speed adjustment.

These old Delco 8-Tracks were pretty well made pieces and were able to provide
decent performance for their day... and they *do* allow you to play those
8-track tapes stashed in the closet.

I must have worked on a hundred of those suckers back when...   I think I
still
have an older '70s vintage AM/8T radio player somewhere.

If all else is OK with the Olds player besides the tape speed, it shouldn't be
much of a problem at all to get it on the right track.. heh.

tony..