<VV> Just a little reassurance. Pulling "engine only"

BobHelt@aol.com BobHelt@aol.com
Sat, 17 Apr 2004 22:25:41 EDT

Ken,
Please see below.
Regards,
Bob helt

In a message dated 4/17/04 6:46:12 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
lcm8044@yahoo.com writes:

> As I look at it now it looks like all I have left is to pull the rear motor
> mount and lower the engine down till I can separate it from the transmiss
> ion. Then just roll the engine toward the rear of the car.

Well you are going to separate the engine from the differential. You will
need to use your Corvair jack or a block of wood placed on top of the
differential in order to keep it pointed down. I hope that you have a cradle on a floor
jack or an ATV lift to do all this rolling the engine toward the rear of the
car.......

> My question is "is that all there is to it" it just looks too easy. I plan
> to pull only the engine, and so all I need is enough room to get the fly wheel
> off, replace it and line up the clutch plate again. Is there a danger of
> breaking the front transmission shaft, or is there anything else I should be
> looking out for?

Yes it is really easy. But be VERY carefull about that cast iron snout
protruding from the diff. That is the one that the throwout bearing rides on. it is
VERY fragile so don't hit it with the engine or you will have a severe lube
leak that will get on the clutch. To fix that requires a complete disassembly of
the diff....not an easy or cheap task.

I suggest that you get several 3 or 4 inch long 9/16" head bolts and cutoff
the heads to use these as guide pins for both removal and reinstallation of the
engine. These should be inserted as you remove the existing bolts. These will
aid in keeping the engine away from this snout.

On reinstallation of the engine have an assistant put the trans in gear and
rotate a tire to allow the trans input shaft and clutch disk to line-up.

Good luck,
Regards,
Bob Helt