<VV> Re: Valve adjustment

Gary mopar@jbcs2.net
Sun, 18 Apr 2004 07:36:20 -0400

> From: lloyd biggerstaff <lloydscorvan@yahoo.com>
> To: VirtualVairs@corvair.org
> Subject: <VV> corvair heads
>
> I JUST REPLACED THE HEADS ON MY 1966 MONZA.THE MANUAL SAYS TO STATICALLY
ADJUST THE LASH.I HAVE BEEN TOLD TO DO IT WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING.WHICH ONE
IS BETTER?

Just yesterday I replaced the push rod tube "O" rings on my Greenbrier. In
the past I always did the valve adjustment with the motor running, got oil
all over myself and generally made a mess of things. Yesterday for the first
time I tried it using the cold method, I will never go back. This is the
only way to do it, van runs great now.........
I figure this motor must have been in the van for a few years, as the "O"
rings were crispy, it had 3 bent push rods(I assume that would account for
the noisy rockers), and I also changed the oil pan gasket on the deep sump
aluminum pan and found something I have not seen in years......Lead residue,
from way back when they put lead in gas.......

Did this while I watched out the door all the bikes and cruisers passing

Always seem I have a late start each year........

Gary Swiatowy