<VV> Electric powered AC units on new cars (no Corvair content)

YENBAT@aol.com YENBAT@aol.com
Mon, 19 Apr 2004 09:13:20 EDT

In a message dated 4/18/04 9:01:26 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
ral1963@earthlink.net writes:

> Subject: <VV> Electric powered AC units on new cars (no Corvair content)
>
> For anyone interested, I saw yesterday a electrically powered a/c compressor
> in a new Saturn Vue. It's a small SUV. I would imagine with an upgraded
> alternator, these could be used for our Corvair engines. I know I'm
> interested in doing something like this.

I would imagine the load on the alternator would be significant.

My concern would be if the drive components are up to the task. would they be
able
to handle the load of, say, a 150Amp Alternator?

what would it do to belt and bearing life?

Inquiring minds need to know.

Tim Abney

Life Member McHenry County, Illinois VietNow
Member American Legion Post #777
Member Society Of The First Infantry Division (Rig Red One)
KLIK - Lai Khe, RVN - 1967-68
Corsa Member
I.E.C.C. President
'65 Corvair Monza coupe
'61 Corvair Lakewood Station Wagon
'62 Corvair 700 Sedan
'83 Toyota Pick-Em-Up  276,000+ Miles and Counting