<VV> cost of paint

Tony tonyu@roava.net
Mon, 19 Apr 2004 21:16:11 -0700

At 1257 04/17/2004 -0400, Vairdad@aol.com wrote:
>I just finnished painting my 63 coupe a beautiful goldwood yellow. I used
>enamel paint, cost less than $150. including primer, reducer and hardner.
I am

>overly pleased with results.
>Corvair driver
>Garland

And you *can* get good results with acrylic enamels if you pick a lighter
nonmetallic base color...  the metallics are really hard to keep bright unless
they're clearcoated; the metallic particles are aluminum powder that tends to
oxidize quickly when exposed to air and the surface of the paint always seems
to end up with the upper layer exposing bits of aluminum powder to rot, paint
dulls and checks and such unless you keep it clean and waxed and out of the
sun
most times (UV light helps the rot process).   But I've seen base color
enamels
that stood up for years and years and still shine with a little wax.

But I'd never paint a metallic without  clear coating it.   For that matter,
base color lacquers also seem to do well when clearcoated.

tony..   currently driving an enamel paint marina blue late coupe that still
shines