<VV> valve adjustments

Tony tonyu@roava.net
Tue, 20 Apr 2004 22:47:05 -0700

At 0737 04/20/2004 -0400, VairMech@aol.com wrote:
>  To all that have posted about running an engine and adjusting hot. All I
>can say is, blewey!
>    When I build an engine I adjust lifters on the engine stand DRY. So much
>for the hot theory.

All well and good for a NEW ENGINE going together.

What about the recently acquired and maybe somewhat worn Vair that shows up at
the tech session with a click or two on one side?

>Also if you read my post about adjusting lifters you will
>also see that I suggest jacking just one side at a time, no oil but for a
few
>drops.

BTDT long since.

>Anyone ever hear of a remote starter switch? Push a button and the
>engine magically turns.

Got one, somewhere, never use it.

>As far as the cute covers well you have to make or
>purchase them and keep track of them,

Much easier to keep track of the covers hanging on that hook than to go
looking
for that damned remote starter switch...

>you really should only ever use them once on
>any engine.

...depending on how much that one engine gets driven.   How about a daily
driver with almost 200k on the clock?   My '60 usually gets a valve lash
touch-up every year or so, depending on whether it wears more or less than
normal.

>    Just so everyone knows I have adjusted valves running for years, I
>mastered the non running method and I won't look back.

That's OK, I got your back...  ;)

>    This is not a flame of any kind, I just need to give Tony a hard time
and
>countermand all those long posts.
>    Ken Hand
>    Still Grinning.

I'm used to getting a hard time from everyone, from the obnoxious daughter to
the local law enforcement types who don't like the looks of what I drive.

I may bring the Yugo to the next Vair show... just to be a pig.   ;)

tony..