<VV> valve adjustment

UltraMonzaWest@aol.com UltraMonzaWest@aol.com
Tue, 20 Apr 2004 14:05:05 EDT

kaczmarek@charter.net writes:
But I would like to deepen the controversy further.

Obviously from the thread on spare engines, Chevy made a BUNCH of Corvair
engines. Most of you know I lived about 1000 feet from the back of the Engine
Complex growing up. Some of the guys who worked the Corvair line still live in my
neighborhood, AND EVEN THEY disagree about how the valves were adjusted on
the line.

remember that the engines were "hot tested" with Propane gas on the stand
before they were shipped. They didn't have the exhaust logs on them at that time.
I remember going through the annual public tour of the complex and seeing the
testing. At that point there HAD to be oil in the motors or they would be
running them dry---

Yet there are guys who say they were hot adjusted at the factory.  IFO can't
see how, but I didn't work there then.

At the end of the day, there are proponents of both methods, for various
reasons.  Work with what fits best with you and I would believe you will sleep
well at night.

HANK
**********************************

Didn't anyone but "I" [ ultraMan ], ever speak to anyone who ASSEMBLED  the
engines?????

Engines were NEW.....built to "tolerances"......hydraulic lifters have a
PISTON  and a RANGE  of USEFUL  movement...

They were assembled with 3-4 threads showing on each rocker stud...then
someone else RAN  the engines....

I'm sure this is the same as the company where I worked.....  after
work.....usually in a bar......all the  "knowitalls" get together  [ since they don't
have any "LIFE"  of their own ]   and  converse on  many different
subjects.....of which they are all EXPERTS.......

They always intend to "FIX"  everything.......as soon as they finish sweeping
the floors......LOL!!

Matt