<VV> valve adjustments

Tony tonyu@roava.net
Wed, 21 Apr 2004 11:40:31 -0700

At 1811 04/20/2004 -0700, Shaun wrote:
><Smit>
>> All well and good for a NEW ENGINE going together.
>> What about the recently acquired and maybe somewhat worn Vair that shows
>up at
>> the tech session with a click or two on one side?
><unSmit>
>
>Debunking myths:
>
>1) Wear has absolutely no effect on a cold adjust being effective. How could
>it?

Wear and tear also involves gum and varnish deposits that can affect lifter
operation.

>Wear on the ends of the rockers where they contact the valve can cause
>ticking even on a properly adjusted (cold) engine.

Oh yes, especially on high mileage engines.

>This can be remedied by
>replacing the rockers, or if you're Ultra thrifty, carefully  fine-grind the
>shiny spot flat (or gently rounded) again and polish it up nicely for quiet
>running once again.

It's been my experience that, since the rocker is case hardened, you wouldn't
expect a reground tip contact surface to last as long.   Then again, Vair
springs don't really load the valve train  that much.   One may well get away
with resurfacing the contact areas on rockers... maybe.

>2) Lifters rarely, if ever, "collapse". That knocking is almost always just
>a piece of crud temporarily blocking an orifice,

Or a lifter that collapsed when the engine was turned off and that lifter was
left sitting on the toe of the cam, spring pressure slowly making the lifter
ooze its contents, collapsing the lifter if the car  is parked long enough.
And, if it has enough gum in it, it may well take a while to pump back up.

>or more probably just a
>lifter on it's way to pumping up within a half hour or so while the owner
>panics after 4 minutes and decides he must replace all the lifters now.

"If it works don't fix it".

>Don't.

Your words may be wasted elsewhere but not here.

tony..