<VV> Re: '63 door handle removal

Robert Marlow nortechcorp@optonline.net
Wed, 21 Apr 2004 09:48:18 -0400

At 09:10 AM 4/21/04 -0400, chris czepyha wrote:

> We are prepping my wifes 63 to be painted... I am trying to decide
weather to remove the door handles, or as carefully as I can tape around
them, and the lock. <

Personally, I dislike painting around things, and I dislike the masking
lines that are always detectable on cars done this way.  So I'd recommend
their removal.  It is not difficult; the hardest part is not screwing up
the inner door panel while removing it to get to the inside of the door.
But it is a good opportunity to clean and rustproof the inside of the door.

I am currently in the midst of painting my third Corvair, and it is the
third Corvair from which I have removed everything prior to painting.  For
the third time I am not looking forward to the re-assembly process, because
once the paint is on the car I will wish that I was done.  But I know that
I once it is all back together I will be VERY glad that I did it this way.
(This is the car that I intend to take to Lexington.  If you see me and my
Mist Blue '66 coupe, please ooh and ahh so that I will feel the effort and
expense was worth it.)

--Bob

Robert W. Marlow
nortechcorp@optonline.net