<VV> Time to Fix the Vapor Lock

Steven J. Serenska corvair@serenska.com
Wed, 21 Apr 2004 09:31:50 -0400

VVers:

I wrote some time ago about a vapor lock problem my Monza had been
experiencing.  I just took it out for the season this past weekend and
noted that the problem has gotten worse.  I'm going to try and tackle it
once and for all this weekend.

The facts:

    Car -- 65 Monza, 110/4spd.

    Symptoms -- I drive the car for a while and shut the engine off
    (e.g., to run into the grocery store). When I start it up, it
    travels about a 1/4-1/2 mile and stalls.  In other words, just long
    enough to go down the road and use up the fuel in the carb bowls.

    Temporary Cure -- Waiting 30-45 minutes for a cool down allows it to
    start back up, but only after some considerable cranking.
    Presumably, this allows to fill the carbs back up.

I went through some old emails on the subject, and have compiled
everyone's recommendations/opinions.  These are:

    * Could be a pinhole leak in the gas line between the tank and pump
    * Rubber hose could be expanding and allowing air to get sucked into
      the fuel line.
    * A fuel pump can and will cause just that problem.
    * If you have another "known good" fuel pump around, try swapping it.
    * Could be a loose valve (unstaked) in the fuel pump.

With this much information, it seems to me that I should try to fix this
problem by replacing:

    * The rubber hose between the tank and the steel line in the tunnel
    * The rubber hose between the steel line and the engine
    * The fuel pump

Anything else I should look into?

On a related note, does anyone have some advice on the best place to go
for a reliable (mechanical) fuel pump?  Have all the bad ones been
cleaned out of the vendors' inventories?

Thanks.

Steven "tired of waiting and cranking" Serenska