<VV> MORE ON VALVE ADJUSTMENT (new issue / question)

VairMech@aol.com VairMech@aol.com
Wed, 21 Apr 2004 11:40:45 EDT

In a message dated 4/21/2004 10:40:08 AM Eastern Standard Time,
NicolCS@aol.com writes:
In my own case and the Techlines question, the lifters were
Sealed Power 817s. The symptoms are: anything tighter than zero lash, hot or
cold,
running or not, the valve doesn't seat and compression is decreased.

Anyone have any personal experience or insight?

    Well, reread my valve adjustment article. Use no more than 3/4 of a turn
for lash and lastly on a new lifter install, some peoples idea of zero lash is
having the lifter bottomed out. It is very easy to collapse the spring inside
the lifter.
   It takes a light feel to find the zero of any lifter, it can be done by
moving the rocker tip up and down, the push rod up and down and yes by twisting
the pushrod.
    If you have done the static setting correctly the next thing that is
needed is patience which most people have very little of. You need to start the
engine and walk away, forget what clatter there may be. Leave it alone! I have
had lifters take as long as 45 minutes to quiet down. That is where every one
wants to jump right in and adjust running thinking they didn't adjust the
lifters properly static.
    Ken Hand