<VV> Time to Fix the Vapor Lock

VairMech@aol.com VairMech@aol.com
Wed, 21 Apr 2004 14:00:03 EDT

In a message dated 4/21/2004 1:00:51 PM Eastern Standard Time,
hmlinc@sbcglobal.net writes:
What you describe does not fit the
classic definition of vapor lock to me.  The car would not restart if that
were the case.

    I must disagree here. The fuel can boil in the fuel line or the pump gets
hot and quits working, leaving the fuel in the carb bowls. The car will go
about a 1/4 mile and quit.
    As a precaution replace the rubber lines, I would start with a new fuel
pump from one of the vendors, me included, and repostion the fuel line going to
the pump from the tank so it does not rest on any part of the sheet metal or
the engine.
    That "should" cure what is happening, but if not, then an electric boost
pump with a momentary switch will most definitely cure the problem.
    If you are so inclined you can also put just an electric pump up front
somewhere and eliminate the mechanical all together and there will never be any
vapor lock, ever.
    Ken Hand