<VV> Re: '63 door handle removal

Bill Hubbell Bill Hubbell" <whubbell@umich.edu
Wed, 21 Apr 2004 22:40:02 -0400

The door handles are not hard to re-install.  You can get them on and off
using a small 1/4" drive ratchet with the appropriate sized socket.  The
larger work is the rest of the door.

When I did my show car ("Alice"), we actually had the doors off the car when
it was painted.  The doors were hung by their hinges on angle-iron stands to
be painted while the door frames were sealed with plastic sheeting held on
from inside by the pinchweld molding.  It made for a seamless paint job of
the door jambs

See photos at this site:
http://community.webshots.com/album/136434707ymQszu

Note:  this was actually a re-painting of the car, only one year after the
first attempt.  Due to improper prepping, the car had to be almost
completely re-stripped, primed and painted.  This second paint job was
applied in 1997 and has held up well.

Bill Hubbell