<VV> "Crappy gas" / Vapor lock, random thoughts (long)

NicolCS@aol.com NicolCS@aol.com
Thu, 22 Apr 2004 15:23:55 EDT

We all know that fuel is highly controlled these days. The makers cut a fine
line between enough volatility to start the car after a night cool-down and
not so much that the fuel boils later in the day after a heat-soak.  Fuels are
blended for the local climate, and the volatility is adjusted from month to
month.  If you change locales (like driving up to the mountains) or don't use a
tank of fuel for a month or three, it is expected that one would experience
trouble either on starting or boiling (and vapor lock).

One of the drags about driving an older car is that we aren't in a position
to matter too much to the refiners.  For that last 20 years, cars have had
pressurized fuel systems (virtually no vapor lock problems) and get their fuel
through injectors, independant of airflow.  Refiners tweak things to make the
majority happy and stay within the emissions laws.  We just don't fall into the
main anymore.  It amazes me that my 63 year-old '41 Buick even runs on today's
fuels. (It really amazes me)

It's natural that some of us are going to have trouble with vapor-lock and
others don't.  We all use fuel that's blended for the local area and our
environments really are "all over the map" (hehehe).

Once you have taken care of  proper maintenence (expecially fuel lines, tank
sock, carb insulators, shroud sealing, timing), if you still have a problem,
you could always add a booster pump near or in the tank (as many have
mentioned). Fuel after the pump basically won't vaporize and if it does, the pump can
overcome it.
Craig (Occasionally vapor-locked, after a drink or two) Nicol