Distributors for Re: <VV> turbo conversion

FrankCB@aol.com FrankCB@aol.com
Thu, 22 Apr 2004 18:28:35 EDT

In a message dated 4/22/04 10:18:54 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
lloydscorvan@yahoo.com writes:
I have been told that I should change the distributor after converting my
turbocharged engine to a normally aspirated one.Any truth to this?
    Yes!  The turbo distributor is setup quite differently from that of the
other Corvairs.  First of all the LM turbo distributor's mechanical advance
only begins at 4000 rpm.  Secondly (even worse, IMHO) it has NO vacuum advance,
but only pressure retard.  So using this distributor on the non-turbo engine
gives a FIXED ADVANCE at all engine speeds below 4000 rpm.  Very bad for
throttle response as well as gas mileage.  Almost any other Corvair distributor would
be better for you than the turbo one.
    Frank Burkhard