<VV> 140-PG MPG?

Tony tonyu@roava.net
Fri, 23 Apr 2004 09:04:51 -0700

Calculating fuel mileage seems to work well enough via keeping records of
mileage and fuel used over a period of time.   Five bucks of fuel, note exact
quantity/gallons, drive until you need more fuel, note quantity and mileage,
etc ad nauseam.  After a while, add 'em up and do the math.   The longer you
go, the more accurate the figures tend to be.   You need to keep two charts,
one for city and one for highway if you mix and match driving.

This was how I ended up checking mileage on that Plymouth Satellite, which
averaged ~6.2 mpg in town and 10.5-11 highway.   Oddly enough, mom's 5770 lb
440 ci Chrysler Crown Imperial got about the same city mileage but managed
almost 14 highway... 'course it had a mild cam and only one 4xbbl carb...

It's also how Mom's old '61 80 hp PG 4-door managed around 30 mpg highway.  It
was indeed thrifty on fuel, one of the better sippers I'd seen wearing Corvair
badges.

I've not checked any of my Vairs lately...  but with fuel the way it is now I
think I'll start checking again.

tony..