<VV> Re: Speakers

NOSVAIR@aol.com NOSVAIR@aol.com
Sat, 24 Apr 2004 11:09:15 EDT

In a message dated 4/24/2004 1:45:04 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
virtualvairs-request@corvair.org writes:

> Does anyone have a suggestion on a good brand of 4X10 speakers that will
> fit original rear seat speaker mounts

Geoff,
  Have you thought of an alternative approach instead?  You could keep that
semi stock look with the 2 speaker grills while improving the sound with a pair
of big honkin 6X9's.  I bought a pair of basic wooden 6X9 speaker housings
which fit easily inside the wasted space cubby hole behind the rear seat of my
'64 Coupe.  While I did cut a one big custom speaker opening in the back panel
( now made of lexan and covered in carpet to avoid warping ) I'll bet if you
opened up your panel to the full dimensions of the 2 rear grills it'll give you
lots of room for sound to escape.  Maybe this isn't the solution you want but
I ended up doing this because everything I saw offered in a 4X10 speaker was
pretty crappy.

Bruce Webster
'60 500 Sedan....tuneless
'61 700 Coupe....(A)nnoying (M)usic