<VV> Re: 69 In Tow

Frank DuVal corvairduval@cox.net
Sun, 25 Apr 2004 14:03:46 -0400

Smitty:

I almost lost a late model from it trying to pass me at slow ( about 40
mph going down a hill in town) speed while I was towing it with my '62
van. Quite an experience I will not forget, and neither does my father
who was following me at the time. All the other cars on the road moved
away from me while I got it under control, I was slowing for a red light
at the time!  I suspected bad alignment. Other late and earlies had
given me no trouble.

On the transmission subject, no transmission manuals I have read
recomend towing a powerglide over 40 mph due to overheating the fluid.
60 mph is pushing it for fluid damage ( and thus band clutch, and
bearing damage),  70 mph is just asking for all kinds of trouble in
towing unknown vehicles. I have talked with several people over the
years that run the motor in the towed vehicle  and put hundreds of miles
on them at highway speeds.  Of course one could ask: if it runs, why tow
it?  Since the powerglide in our Corvairs has a rear pump, I do not know
if running the engine does any good.

Question:  Does the torque converter spin on our powerglides when being
towed in neutral? This is the only source of transmission fluid cooling
for our cars. And the FC's have an external cooler, but depend on air
flow through the vent work- only works with the engine fan running.

Frank DuVal