<VV> Long (sorry) but at least it's all Corvair..?

Kerry and Jan deaconone@teleweb.net
Sun, 25 Apr 2004 22:46:32 -0400

Hi Guys,

 In my never ending quest to figure out why my 1963 (?) Turbo is so
noisy..(lifters or..?) I have taken a trip through the MANY receipts
from the P.O. listing what was done to the engine. Since it's becoming
obvious that my convertible car may NOT have started out its life as a
Turbo things have gotten a little complicated.. It's complicated even
more by the fact that while the car is titled as a 1963, it seems to
have the 1964 transaxel (evidenced by the "torsion bar"). First things
first. The numbers off the block are T0114YR. Numbers off the pillar
are: 30967W145100.

My question is, if any of the following information points to a possible
problem..IE mismatched parts etc..What I found is:

The heads were replaced with Clarks C1758 ( 1964 NON Turbo heads, 95 HP)
Valves were replaced with C3020 (Intake valves) and C123R (Turbo Exhaust
valves)
Cylinders were replaced with C8300 (.20 over, forged pistons, Cyl and
rings, 1964)
Pivot Balls & Nuts C766X
Valve springs C8619 ( 12 VALVE SPRINGS W/DAMPER, OT CAMS SERIE
10-30(40-50 CAMS USE C8622) not sure what this means..?
Rocker arms (from someone named "Marty")

Of slight concern is the fact that I couldn't find any reference to new
rod bearings...and no mention of any work reconditioning the rods though
that could have been done by the rebuilder...

Ok a brief review of the problem..the engine is quite a bit noiser than
other Turbos I have listened to.  A lot of the noise seems to be lifter
noise, it almost sounds like the car has solid lifters. I can use a
mechanical stethoscope on the valve covers and hear the rocker
arms..this is NOT like a collapsed lifter.. not that loud.. sounds like
more than one less than 6. (on each side) . We have installed all new
lifters and they were adjusted by someone far more qualified than
I...Engine runs fine, can wind it up and nothing blows up..(yet) no
smoke.  Engine has good oil pressure, there is oil at the rocker arms
and push rods.

I really need some suggestions here...if there is anything to suggest..I
am facing a rebuild of a rebuilt engine with less than 5000 miles on it
since the only solution offered so far is to take the engine apart to
see whats up...or drive it till something gives up the ghost after which
the problem will be appearent and likely more expensive. This isn't an
attractive option as with my luck the engine will go away on the way to
Kentucky!

Again I apologize for the length of this posting but needed to include
as much info as I could...

Kerry