<VV> Adventures in towing

Harry Yarnell Harry Yarnell" <hyarnell1@earthlink.net
Mon, 26 Apr 2004 10:25:06 -0400

Many years ago, I bought a '69 from a chap down in Glen Burnie, Md (about 40
miles, all interstate). The guy had started doing some engine work (engine
in the car, but the heads were off) and the dash was missing. It was a
Powerglide, and the shift cable was hanging down; I had no idea what 'gear'
it was in, and I was flat towing it. Trying to remember the sequence of the
PRNDL, and the range of stroke on the cable end, I made a judgment call as
to where to move the cable end so it was in neutral. It didn't take long to
realize I guessed wrong. Cylinder barrels were shooting all across the road
about a block from his house as a got up to the speed where the tranny
engauged. Pull over, gather up the barrels, and re-try for the sweet spot in
the cable this time I got it right, and sailed home without further
problems.

Harry Yarnell
perryman garage and orphanage
perryman, MD