<VV> School/autocross

Levair@aol.com Levair@aol.com
Mon, 26 Apr 2004 11:20:29 EDT

All,

   There was a song tiltled "Where do they all come from?"
  We had 53 students at Fort Wayne and then 47 students at Columbus a week
later.
   It always amazes and thrills me at the turn out. Some of the students
attended both schools. It makes good sense since the two venues offere different
aspects of the sport. The Columbus school offers the great high concentration
of efforts in individual training while the F.t Wayne school offers the
greatest amount of non on the track training--specialities, etc.
  At Columbus , since we have the room , we get to practice on single
maneuvers such as pin turns, slaloms and gates,and then get to put them all together
as one course in the afternoon.
   I believe that this one weekend is worth three years of undisciplined
practice going to autocrosses.
   It's a long weekend for the instructors starting on Fri afternoon with
course and timing vehicles set up and continuing through Sunday afternoon.
Thankfully we have a full squad of willing volunteers, who  unasked , make the event
flow smoothly , almost as if we were professionals. We even had persons show
up to assist who should have been home in bed sick with pneumonia. I've have
to say that they were sick in more ways than one., but thanks. We tend to
ignore the regulars who are always there to assist in any manner---again , thanks.
   Oh, and thanks for the lady hugs for this fellow who is missing his mate.
    The student field seems to consist of young folks, guys and gals , with
either Minis, Neons, or some sort of four door sedan with a huge wing on the
back and a huge engine in the front. They all look the same to me, but go like
stink. We used to step DOWN into  our sports cars and now we step UP into them.
It's a crazy world. Mmaybe the wings are really just handrails to hand on to
for some of the older racers.
   The greatest difficulty that inexperienced and very experienced students
had was developing the discipline to go slow in the tight areas to set up for
speed in the open areas---instructor included.
    Mark Lamb showed us the fast way around this year aagain in his Formula
Ford..
   My only personal victory was that for the third weekend in a row (fingers
crossed) nothing broke on the roadster. Now I can concentrate on getting it
ready for the Hershey Vintage Hillclimb this week in Pennsyvania. Michael
LeVeque, Mark Gilispie, Jeff Rapp , and I will be going and racing vintage Corvairs
--look for you there.
   For you weenies that stayed home Sunday because of threatening rain
(always a threat in Indiana) . It started raining at the finish of the runs Sat.
evening, rained all night, and quit raining at 9:00 AM Sunday morning, just
immediately after our small church service, and was beautiful all day-----oh, ye of
little faith.
Warren