<VV> Underhood Padding Retainers - Thanks to All

Ken lcm8044@yahoo.com
Thu, 29 Apr 2004 19:12:09 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks to all who responded to my question. It was so easy, I am slightly embarrassed I asked, but the good news is that the pad is off and with out additional damage. The plastic clips are intact as well.

There were several who asked how I intended to clean the pad after it was off, and some of the members that responded had good suggestions that I thought should be shared.

The pad is very oily, and was probably soaked from pressure forcing oil out the dip stick before the rebuild.

My plan was to spray the pad with engine degreaser. Allow it to soak for a time. Re-spray, then rinse with the pad face down, while supported by a wire mesh support. My thought is that if I can break up the oil, and rinse with very little water pressure, I can keep the damage to the pad to a minimum. If necessary a second third or fourth rinse with a mild soap.

The following suggestion came from Phil Fairman, Pres, Central Pa Corvair Club. Phil has actually tried his method, mine is only a plan.

Ken,

I, too, wanted to keep the stock padding...here's how I did it:

Used a door panel & weather-strip removal tool (sort of a "v" tipped pry bar) Clarks #C5907, just slipped it under the retainer & popped them out. Cover your fan while doing this, don't ask me how I know. Then lay the insulation on a piece of plywood in the sun and soak it with simple green spray-full strength. Then just "blot" the liquid out with cheap paper towels, pressing several sheets together flat down on the insulation repeat several times, dries quickly. All this being said, having done this, the insulation continued to deteriorate, and I replaced it with the Clarks pad. As it disintegrates, the pieces are sucked into the fan and started to plug the heater and cooling fins. Clark's has announced an exact molded repro, so call & get on the order list...demand determines production. The cleaning method also works for the side insulation, but lightly vacuum it with an upholstery brush first to remove the grit & chunks.

Cheers,

Phil Fairman

Pres, Central Pa Corvair Club

Again thanks for the help. I used a pair of small needle noses angled pliers, and a small piece of wood against the pad to pry against. Popped right off.

Ken Morgan

66 Corsa 140 / 4