<VV> Update on engine cutting out

Duane, Jim Jim.Duane@DigitalNet.com
Fri, 30 Apr 2004 10:42:50 -0400

Sounds like a rule out of the ignition system.  Your VMM ruled out
strange 12V dropouts from the ignition switch, etc.  The only other "hot
stop" scenario that comes to mind is lack of fuel VIA vapor lock or boil
out of fuel in the primaries.  If you have a stock fuel setup, it should
be investigated.   Prahaps a removal of the air plumbing and observation
of a healthy squirt of fuel when dead would eliminate fuel problems...

Jim Duane
'66 180 Corsa cvt.
Colonial Corvairs
CORSA

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org] On Behalf Of Anil Mittal
Sent: Friday, April 30, 2004 9:53 AM
To: virtualvairs@corvair.org
Cc: anil@anil.com
Subject: <VV> Update on engine cutting out

Hello All,

Here is an update on the below, and help would be greatly appreciated. I
replaced the coil with an Accel Super Stock coil last week and still had
the same problem as below. Last night I picked up a new ignition module
for the HEI and installed it. While I was replacing the module I also
removed the tach wire from the coil to rule out a bad tachometer. I
drove the car about 25 miles and like clock work the engine went dead as
I came to a stop light. I quickly grabbed by VMM and checked a few
things. I found that I still had the correct 12V to the ignition module
and coil. I also still had a good ground for the body of the ignition
module. I noticed that something did change though. I could start the
car fairly easily but it would only stay running at higher RPMs when I
depressed the accelerator pedal, it would not idle normally until it
cooled for a few minutes.
Another thing that changed is that the "cool down" time is much shorter
now, on the order of 2 to 3 minutes and not 10 minutes. I don't even
have to open the hood for the cool down, just wait a few minutes and I
am off on my way till it warms up again. It looks like I am getting
spark since I can start it and it will run at higher RPMs and I am
getting fuel since it will run at the higher RPMs. What would cause a
hot motor to not want to idle? Thank you for any help!

Anil

Hello All,

I have been out of the Corvair loop for about 2 years now. Changing
jobs, moving coast to coast, buying a house and fixing it up has kept my
Corvair under cover in the garage for too long now. But finally I see
the light at the end of the tunnel, the house projects are almost done,
the last snow has fallen (I hope) and the weather is warming up. Time to
get the Corvair back on the road. My car is a
66 Monza Cvt with a 140 engine and a PG trans. I have two questions for
the group:

QUESTION 1:

Backround:

My car has a Dale built distributor which is the correct one for this
Trans/engine combination. The distributor has a Dale HEI ignition. Yeah
I know it is overkill for this application but while I was working on
the distributor/ignition I wanted to replace everything. The coil which
is on the car now says Fire Ball on it.
The distributor cap and rotor are fairly new and show no wear. The plug
wires are from Seth and are in good shape. When I installed the
electronic ignition I bypasses the resistor wire in the harness so that
the coil and ignition get a full 12V.

Problem:

The car starts fine, idles fine, has great power and throttle response.
After I drive it for a number of miles (20 to 30) the car just quits. If
I let it cool down for about 10 minutes it starts up fine and all is
good till it warms up again and the sit and cool cycle starts again. I
don't think this is vapor lock since I can see a stream of gas from the
accelerator pumps even when the car does not want to start. Would this
indicate a bad coil? I do not know the age of the coil. Should I have
not run 12V to the coil and ignition?