Bronze vs. Cast Guides - was Re: <VV> Re:95 heads on turbo.

FrankCB@aol.com FrankCB@aol.com
Sun, 1 Aug 2004 12:08:52 EDT

In a message dated 7/31/04 4:48:58 PM Eastern Daylight Time, N2VZD writes:
i have seen more failures of bronze guides than cast.  even discussed it with
good shop owner here...i put cast in for my stuff. better lube because pores
are more open.
    Well, this might be explained by the fact that the bronze guides are only
installed (by the factory) in the turbo cars which generally have much higher
heat loads placed on them than the non turbo ones.  On the other hand, lots
of 140s get driven pretty "vigorously" although that might be more a case of
high revs than combustion chamber heat loads like the 150/180s get.
    Thanks for the feedback.  I'm putting this on V V and FastVair since we
might get feedback that supports your findings.  And I'd like to get more
feedback on this.
    Regards,
    Frank Burkhard