<VV> Louis Chevrolet

Russell Heim chevyii@optonline.net
Mon, 02 Aug 2004 11:02:08 -0400

The accepted story of the Bow Tie's origin is that William C. Durant spotted it on the wallpaper of his hotel room in Paris.  Thinking it would make a good emblem, he peeled off a small section of the wallpaper and saved it for future use.  I believe the first Chevrolet model year that used the Bow Tie was 1914.

I think that one of many reasons I like Chevrolets is that I have the same birthday, many years apart, as Louis Chevrolet, December 25.

"Chevrolet, A History From 1911," by Beverly Rae Kimes and Robert Ackerson is a good source of information for the founding of Chevrolet.  That's where I read the above Bow Tie story.  This book also mentions that Durant's wife claimed he saw the Bow Tie in an ad in a Sunday paper.