<VV> Re: more on the NEW Filters

BobHelt@aol.com BobHelt@aol.com
Wed, 4 Aug 2004 11:23:22 EDT

In a message dated 8/4/04 5:19:59 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
vairologist@juno.com writes:

> At least with what you have done
> there is reason to believe we may have filters around for a while yet.

Hi Smitty,
I didn't mention this (but should have!!!).

My biggest concern with these "new" filters is how the new outer rubber seal
is designed. The potential problem as I see it, is that when the center bolt
is tightened, the metal lip on the can is forced to dig into this seal. The
tighter the bolt, the deeper this lip is forced into the seal. At some point, if
the force is great enough (or the seal is old and dry enough), the metal lip
will cut thru the seal and there will be oil all over the place...........
Regards,
Bob Helt