<VV> LM Suspension / Engine / Trans/ brake questions - LONG

Bryan Blackwell bryan@skiblack.com
Wed, 4 Aug 2004 13:46:21 -0400

After reading Norm's post I'm getting around to replying to this note.
First, I think you need to give us some background info:

  - What sort of budget are we talking about?
  - Are you looking for "bolt ons" or are you willing and able to
fabricate?
  - What sort of use are you planning?

I can infer some of this from your questions, but it still helps to lay
this out explicitly.  I can reply to a couple of these:

On Tuesday, July 27, 2004, at 09:54 PM, John Sconiers wrote:

> Brakes:  I'm going to have to also replace all of the wheel cylanders,
> front and rear shoes, and brake hardware.  Doesn't have to be done
> ASAP but it needs to be done.  Plus I was also going to do the dual
> master cylander conversion.  I was already thinking of going disc
> brakes all around so I don't want to spend the cash on the old brakes
> if I'm replacing them anyway.  What are your thoughts on front and
> rear disc brakes?

Unless you are planning on lots of track time or competition, disc
brakes are not really necessary on a Corvair.  One of the vendor's
kevlar metallic linings,  good tires, dual master, and replacing both
metal and rubber lines will yield a car that will stop *very* well.
That's not to say discs aren't better, but mostly all you get is a very
slight gain in predictability and fade resistance at very high speeds
(defined as multiple high effort stops from 100+)

> Engine:  The engine in the corvair is a stock 110.  I would still like
> to replace this with a 180 mainly for more get up and go and because I
> have already purchased a 180.  I was going to rebuild with a set of
> 140 heads, new ot30 cam, KB pistons, inter cooler, oil cooler, large
> valve covers and oil pickup, DIS, and FI.  After hearing a post this
> weekend about "needing extra umph" I was wondering what are some mid /
> high performance setups that have been proven to work well with the
> 180?  Mostly looking for combinations or things to look out for.

Your list above sounds good (cam choice is debatable) but most of the
"cookbook" examples are more stock than what you have above.

> Trans:  Has anybody ever replaced the 2 speed power glide with a
> completely different automatic trans?  As of right now I'm thinking of
> replacing with a four speed manual but I was wondering if there are
> any conversions that would allow me to keep an automatic but mate
> better with the 180.

There isn't anything that's remotely a bolt in.  Bear in mind it's a
transaxle, and the rear suspension points are attached.

You might wish to check my website for more detailed info on some of
these mods.
--
Bryan Blackwell bryan@skiblack.com
http://autoxer.skiblack.com/