<VV> Re: Electrical Fire

vairologist@juno.com vairologist@juno.com
Mon, 9 Aug 2004 13:27:04 -0400

> From: "Ewell Mills" <emills5@cfl.rr.com>
> Subject: <VV> Electrical Fire
------------------------------
Smitty says:  Electrical fires are no fun.  Once when traveling I pulled
my emerg brake handle and the cable broke under the dash.  The broken end
found the unused (unfused) cigarette lighter terminal on the fuse block
and welded itself to it.  Max cadmium (or zinc) smoke from the burning
cable.  Got under the dash and saw what was happening and jerked the
cable loose with my bare hand.  Now to get to your problem.  There was a
little metal boxed 40 amp circuit breaker which was used on some Mopars
(seems to me in the 70s) that had ends on it that snap into a standard
Corvair fuse clip.  I would guess it was for headlights since it was a
breaker and not a fuse.  Those might be available from your FLAPS in
lessor amperage ratings. Not too many calls for 40 amps of power but I
found use for a couple in my car.  A relay might provide some measure of
safety but in that they provide for a method of not running high load
wire the length of the car like yours was.