<VV> Virus

J R Read_HML hmlinc@sbcglobal.net
Mon, 9 Aug 2004 21:35:16 -0500

Dennis,

The ones that went through VV DID have the attachment stripped off.

Look at the one supposedly from Lon AGAIN.  I'll bet it appears to come
direct from him (NOT passing through VV).

The way the virus works (a really dumb one to not put a subject in) is to
look at the address book in the infected computer.  It then sends emails
randomly between the various entries in that address book.  SO - ONE of the
addresses was to VV and those were handled by stripping off the attachments.
BUT, they did clutter up the VV mailboxes of all of us - and probably took
up some time to handle all of those messages - slowing down the whole deal.
VV was VERY quiet yesterday and I begin to wonder if this had anything to do
with it.

Obviously, both you and Lon are also in that address book since the virus
PRETENDED (this is called spoofing) to be Lon sending an email to you.  This
is in the hope (on the part of the virus writer) that people who know one
another will not be so cautious about opening an attachment - and the virus
will then be passed on.

Attachments are scanned with anti-virus software.

Know to be VIRUS FREE as of 1/2 hour ago!

Later, JR
'61 Rampside Standard 4/110
'65 Monza Convertible 4/140
'66 beater Coupe - icemobile 4/140