<VV> RE: Butt ugly mag caps

mopar@jbcs2.net mopar@jbcs2.net
Tue, 10 Aug 2004 12:17:29 -0400

About 10 years ago I picked up a set of 4 Mag caps for $15, 2 of them were
NOS and the other 2 were hammered. Kept them on the shelf until last year
in Carlisle where I found a pair available which were used but VERY decent,
paid $150 for them and glad to get em. What has not been mentioned is the
fact any of the Mags which are NOT pitted or dented are hard to come by. I
have passed up plenty of the used ones which were not good. Picked up a set
of the 14 inch mag caps a few years back for $40, really decent shape. Sold
immediately for $200. Wires are another story, they are much more difficult
to clean, go to any vair concours and see more of them than anything else.
Personally I like the mag caps better.

Gary Swiatowy

   Subject: <VV> Re: Butt ugly mag caps

At 05:34 PM 8/9/04 -0400, airvair wrote:

> Actually, I think it's more like SOMEbody got the bright idea of charging
the same as wires, because the demand was so slow that they didn't have a
price base to go on. Then all the sickos jumped on the bandwagon. That's
the only reason that can explain why the 13's are the same price while
identical-looking 14's are half price for mags as wires. <

No, I still go back to Mike Kovacs' Supply & Demand.  14-inchers are far
more common than 13s, and 13-inch mag caps are less plentiful than the
13-inch wire caps.  Today, enough people like them to push the price up.
Price gouging only works where there is an artificial demand, such as home
repair supplies before and after a hurricane.

But, Mark, since you are convinced that the 13-inch mag caps are "butt
ugly," I can help:  Send your butt-ugly mag caps to me.  In fact, pry 'em
off that car of yours that has them as factory-installed.  Bring them to
the BeaveRun event on August 29, and I'll take them back to NJ where you'll
have the assurance of likely never seeing them again.

You can't put a price on aesthetic comfort such as that!

[grin!]

--Bob

Robert W. Marlow
nortechcorp@optonline.net