<VV> Check EVERYTHING on a "new" corvair (LONG)

Derek Archer eggman@owt.com
Thu, 12 Aug 2004 01:13:06 -0700

I recently bought a dark blue 1964 Spyder coupe from a guy locally. The
car was in very good condition with a rebuilt engine and turbo, new
paint, among other things. I got it for $2,700! The car is so good I
would have paid $6,000 for it! Besides all of the usual check of
brakes, steering, engine, etc. It has all been little things (which is
what makes corvairing so fun). Anyway, on Sunday I am to go on a picnic
with my local club and was checking thermostat damper door adjustments
(another story), I noticed a green wire sticking out of some taped
wires near the coil which went to the temp/press sensors I noticed the
connectors at that point were not stock, but I didn't think anything of
it. Checking my shop manual, that wire was the warning buzzer wire. I
grounded it and sure enough, I heard a functioning, albeit ill-sounding
buzzer. Apparently whoever fixed that didn't consult the expanded
diagram in the shop manual of that system and forgot to hook the buzzer
in the circuit. While I was at it, I decided to check the wire going
down to the "snap" switch. I looked inside the damper door and
discovered something rather disturbing. The wire wasn't even
connected!! It was just hanging there with electrical tape wrapped
around it. And I thought, "What if my head temp gauge went out?" I
would have had NO indication of an overheat condition. This would be
bad. This is only one reason to check absolutely EVERYTHING on a new
purchase even if it looks good on the outside.