<VV> Engine break-in period

Sadek Charles H DLVA SadekCH@NSWC.NAVY.MIL
Thu, 12 Aug 2004 11:16:08 -0400

Yes, we all agree (speaking for everyone without their permission...;>))

Use detergent oil, cycle engine above lugging-DO NOT LUG, especially during
break-in and do not use the engine for a brake, during initial break-in.  My
Daddy told me...got to be right, right?!?! <VBG> Cycle slowly up to 1500
then 2000 then 2500 from above idle-for me that would be while in gear, keep
it above 1000 , with gentle cycles-drive it like a little old lady for a
while.  He said, when breaking an engine in, slowly accelerate and ideally,
when de-accelerating, try and keep power on a bit, rather than letting
engine freewheel as it comes down in rpm.  In other words, you want a little
bit of pressure on pistons, etc. in both directions, so to speak, while
going up and down in the rpm range.

Change the oil, keep the revs down for the first 500 mi.  By "down" I mean
no getting on the boost and running it up.  I was told that the worst time
for an engine was initial startup, then break in, subsequent start ups and
running cold at idle, resulting in increased wear.  My opinion from
everything I have read is once the engine starts, immediately get it up to
1500-2000 (I know it seems high) for warm up. For a street engine I would
alter this to whatever the stated fast idle speed is supposed to be plus a
100 - 200 rpm.

If I had time I would set up a bench to bench run my racing engines. I hope
to do that this winter.

Chuck S