<VV> Re: a good vair day

Lee Higginbotham leehigginbotham@sbcglobal.net
Thu, 12 Aug 2004 16:45:58 -0700 (PDT)

A quick note of introduction on my part. My name is Lee Higginbotham and I live in Houston, TX. I own a '65 Monza vert. My family was a corvair family when I was growing up. We owned the early model station wagon and a late model monza coupe and a sedan. I love corvairs!
Anyway, John, about your ignition switch.
You can't remove the cylinder without breaking it if you don't have the key. The lock is made of very soft pot metal, and the way the cylinder is constructed with a sidebar, it is not pick friendly. If you do locate the key, put the switch in the ACC position, get a large paper clip or a stiff piece of wire, and push into the small hole that is next to the keyway. You should be able to pull out the cylinder with the key. Then just unscrew the retainer nut on the front of the ignition. Well, that is how it works with my '65 anyway.
 I have rambled I know.
I am happy to have found this list and I enjoy reading it daily.
Cheers,
Lee
1965 Monza 110 convertible