<VV> problems with shifting

EUGENE1938@aol.com EUGENE1938@aol.com
Mon, 16 Aug 2004 10:51:43 EDT

.akinzelm@greatnortherncorp.com writes:
I was heading to a car show this morning. I noticed a little bit of
chattering prior to pulling up to a stop sign. It made the car jerk like you were
trying to start from a stop in 3rd or 4th gear.  I shifted into neutral at the stop
sign and  I then shifted into 1st and the car wouldn't move. It wouldn't move
in any gear. I had it towed home and put it up on jack stands and checked the
linkage. Linkage moves in and out of the transmission with the shift lever.
Now, where do I go from here? There is no noise coming from the transaxle. Got
any ideas?

Andy,
My best guess is that the splines inside the pinion shaft have failed.  If
you can put the transmission into any gear, engine not running, and push the car
with the engine not being turned over this would pretty much confirm it.  Not
good news because the differential will have to be rebuilt.

Ed Corson (CORSA member)
IECC - Riverside, CA