<VV> 66 Corsa Vert rear wheel bearings

Sadek Charles H DLVA SadekCH@NSWC.NAVY.MIL
Mon, 16 Aug 2004 11:49:06 -0400

Ron,
	Easy one first:  Yes, one common sized seal, from outside. No sweat.

	Rear wheel bearings:  You need a strong press, and yes, you can do
it.  Remove assy from trailing arm.  Remove nut, remove yoke, then press
apart.  Keep pieces in order-there are shims; a specific tolerances required
when you put it back together.  Some folks say you can just reinstall with
new bearings if careful measurements are taken and nothing is noticed to say
the clearances will change.  Shop manual tells you what to do plus tech
guide as I recall.

	This is one place we need to read the directions first, rather than
after we screw it up....

Chuck S

-----Original Message-----
From: RKAT [mailto:edbaloo@psouth.net]
 Has anyone changed the rear wheel bearings on a 66? I just purchased a
66 Corsa Convertible 4sp. I pulled the wheels off yesterday, someone
installed new brakes all around, new front wheel bearings, the rears
however are shot. How difficult is this? I do have plenty of mechanical
skill.

And it appears the tranny is leaking where the shift rod goes into the
tranny, is there a seal around this??

Thanks!!!
Ron