<VV> Head Studs Stretching!

N. Joseph Potts pottsf@msn.com
Wed, 18 Aug 2004 19:00:31 -0400

I've got a couple of "long" head upper studs, and even without getting a
look under the upper shroud, I can tell what's happening (I know the studs
are NOT stretching). Meantime, the head is on and working fine, so, this
question:
     Has anyone ever replaced a head stud without removing the head? I
realize you can't do this if the stud has pulled out so much metal that an
oversize stud can't thread in, so this question pertains to situations where
an oversize stud would constitute a fix without the use of an insert. And I
don't have a welder, either, if that's how to grab hold of the short (but
now longer) exposed end of the stud. The stud, by the way, has NOT pulled
out, but in fact still exerts what I judge to be sufficient torque at
present.

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C