<VV> Question re: rear wheel bearings and a project update

larry@forman.net larry@forman.net
Fri, 20 Aug 2004 05:08:04 -1100 (SST)

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 08:42:46 -0700 (PDT), Macdonald David wrote:
> I read the instruction in the Corsa Tech Guide that
> describe installing a grease fitting in the rear
> bearing unit. I cant bring myself to do this as
> described because I think thats its inevitable that
> shard of metal from the drilling will end up on the
> inside and will make its way into the bearing. Anyone
> have any experience doing this?
>
> David

Hi David,
While you will undoubtly get different opinions on this, DON'T do it!  Some people have had good luck and others have had terrible luck in
that the bearing seals leaked onto the brake linings ruining them, and KEPT leaking!  The root of the problem is that the cavity is HUGE in
there and there is no way to know that you have sufficiently lubricated the bearings, especially considering all the 40 year old tar in
there now, without over lubing the cavity.  Even if you drill an expansion hole in the top to let the overflow flow out, you still don't
know if you have REALLY lubed those bearings with fresh grease where it needs to go.  There is only one "real" way to do this and that is to
remove, clean, relube, and replace, while reshimming as you do this.  That job requires a press and some skill and possibly machining the
bearing area for proper clearance.  Best done by someone who knows what they are doing, which might include you.  Just don't try the quick
and dirty approach for these bearings.  I think it is about $250 for both sides to have this done.  Once done, it should last you for
another 40 years, possibly longer.  Not a bad investment for 40 years use.
-- Larry

Larry Forman