<VV> Question re: rear wheel bearings and a project update

BobHelt@aol.com BobHelt@aol.com
Fri, 20 Aug 2004 13:20:49 EDT

In a message dated 8/20/04 8:45:49 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
dmacd_us@yahoo.com writes:

> I read the instruction in the Corsa Tech Guide that
> describe installing a grease fitting in the rear
> bearing unit. I cant bring myself to do this as
> described because I think thats its inevitable that
> shard of metal from the drilling will end up on the
> inside and will make its way into the bearing. Anyone
> have any experience doing this?
>
> David

David,
You don't want to do this. Not only is what you state a possible problem, but
that cavity is so large that it will take about 50+ strokes on a large grease
gun to fill it. You stop when grease comes out one of the seals, I guess.
Then you will never know if any grease got to the other side..... so what happens
is one bearing and seal will be overloaded with grease (and running hot)  and
you will continually (forever) get more grease past that seal and onto the
brake linings, and the other bearing (on the other side) will probably be
running dry. You will never know if this is true until that bearing fails. In my
opinion that is not a good way to grease bearings.
Regards,
Bob Helt