<VV> EM Specific questions.

NicolCS@aol.com NicolCS@aol.com
Fri, 20 Aug 2004 13:47:39 EDT

Sherman, in addition to the need to change the input shaft, you may have to
cut a large clearance in the suspension crossmember.  I don't claim to be an
expert on earlies, but I did install a 4-speed in a '62 in place of the original
PG.  I had to get out the "blue wrench" to make it fit.  I don't know if the
3-speed suspension crossmember will accomodate the 4-speed directly.  Do you
have the required 4-speed transmission support bracket?  It too is "dished" to
accomodate the longer 4-speed transmission.  For my money, I'd remove the
whole powertrain.  Net, net, removing the whole enchilada will take less time than
struggling with the heavy differential or transaxle in the limited space
available under a jacked-up car.
Craig Nicol

<snip>I am needing to accomplish a task here. I want to replace the 3 spd in
my 62 with a 4 spd. How difficult is it to change the tranny with out removing
the engine? Is it just easier to remove the entire drivetrain?
Sherman Gossett 62 Monza 'vert
<unsnip>